Friday, February 27, 2009

Zigzag Mitts


I am excited to share with you here my first self-published pattern. These fingerless mitts were inspired by the popular Jaywalker sock pattern by Grumperina. They are worked finger-to-cuff and feature a thumb gusset placed on the side (making them wearable on either hand), zigzags on a smaller scale for a snugger cuff, and a garter-stitch edge knit in the round which leaves a solid, unrolling structure at both ends. The zigzag pattern creates a snug fit for a mitt that is comfortable to wear outdoors or in. I wear mine while walking the dog, driving to work, and typing in my office!


The pattern is written for two sizes (S/M & M/L) and is written for dpns but could be converted to work with circulars or magic loop. [Edited to add: needle sizes US #1 and US #0.] The thumb, hand and cuff patterns are written out and directions are written per row with periodic stitch counts noted to help keep you on the right track.


I wrote the pattern to be used with Koigu KPPPM just because I love the color selection and short color repeats of that yarn, but any 14wpi sock-weight yarn would work. (Although, may I say that the Koigu wears like iron? It's great stuff.) I've made a couple of pairs with Claudia's Hand Painted Yarns fingering weight wool and was really pleased with the results, too.

The pattern sells for $6 US. If you are in Portland, Oregon you can pick up a paper version at either Close Knit on NE Alberta or at Twisted on NE Broadway. Or, from the comfort of your own home, you can purchase the pdf either through Ravelry (search for "Zigzag Mitts" or see my profile under sunnydayknitter) or here:



(Note: clicking the button above will take you to Ravelry's Paypal site. Ravelry will delivery the pdf to your email address. If you have any problems, please let me know!)

Errata:
For size M/L, Cuff Pattern, Round 2, please use:
[*kfb, k2, dd, k2, kfb, kfb, k2, dd, k3, kfb*] added 5.30.09

No comments: