Saturday, June 18, 2005

Colin's Hiking Sweater--the beginning

OK. So we won't go into the fact that I really shouldn't be starting a new project until the shaped cardigan is finished (and I haven't even yet mentioned Birch). But here's the thing--there's no way my sister will be wearing that in the summer's weather, and I did promise Colin a hiking sweater which, if I get in gear, he might really be able to wear this season. I'm using Satakieli wool, from Finland, ordered through Schoolhouse Press. I love the color--it's really more rust than the orange that comes through the photo. I'm thinking a gansey, but with possibly a Swedich Block pattern (from Barbara Walker's A Treasury of Knitting Patterns) across the sweater's top--you can see the pattern at the top of my swatch. And, requested by the wearer-to-be, an untraditional zip neck for venting and mosquito protection. The wool is springy and soft--can't wait to get started on this.

No comments: