Saturday, January 28, 2006

My Peaceful Palms

When I signed up for Nona's Peaceful Palms knitalong, I knew I wanted to finish C's gansey first and, given our trip, that it wouldn't be until January that I'd probably start. But I didn't mean to be one of the last to post! I actually finished a couple of weeks ago, but haven't gotten a good photo taken until tonight. So, here they are...

This photo shows the color of the Koigu pretty well. It was great stuff to knit with; I'd made a scarf with Koigu before and its springy nature lends itself well to gloves. My first pair of gloves were made fingertips down but using double knitting; this time I tried the i-cord method following Nona's clear descriptions. What a clever idea! No doubt that Meg Swansen would have thought of it, or at least unvented it. My only deviation from Nona's instructions involved, for the fingers other than the pinkies, picking up two stitches within the float instead of one. I tried picking up one stitch down the float first but was unhappy with how loose that one stitch looked compared to the others. Picking up two worked fine, although I didn't think about the consequences until I got to putting them together, that by adding stitches my total stitch count was now higher than that for which the pattern was written (duh). Ultimately the added stitches weren't too many, as the gloves fit my hands well (and match my coat!). I used size 2's; once I got the fingers all made, I used two circular needles for the rest of the way.

I love my new gloves and I've enjoyed seeing everyone's Peaceful Palms. Thanks to Nona for hosting this knitalong!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your gloves look great! I love your tip for closing the i-cord gap using 2 stitches instead of one. I'll update the pattern to include your suggestion -- Thanks!

jenknits said...

I did the same thing - picked up two stitches on all the fingers except the pinky. Except I did not read all of the directions, and didn't realize that each finger called for casting on a different number of stitches, so by the time all was said and done, my palm matched the stitch count of the smallest size! I too used koigu, and absolutely love the way they turned out. There are photos on my blog if you are so inclined to visit: http://knittingforsanity.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful gloves -- I love the colorway.