Sunday, May 20, 2007

Mum's Day Socks

My mother seems to like my handknit socks (would she tell me otherwise?), so this is her second year to receive socks for Mother's Day (pair #1). I love how these socks came out. They fit well, the coral color is beautiful, and the lace pattern is airy enough for spring-into-summer weather.

For these socks I loosely followed Charlene Schurch's pattern for ribbed lace in her book, Sensational Knitted Socks. To dress up the k1pi rib at the top of the leg, I used a Channel Island cast-on. (I think Beth Brown-Reinsel gives the best description of this cast-on in her classic book, Knitting Ganseys.) The heel is Eye of Partridge, which has an interesting look to it and should wear well.

This was my first time using Louet's Gems. I love it! It is incredibly soft and has a good stretch. And the best part is, I bought two skeins thinking I'd need both, but used only one (with less than a foot to spare!), which means I can make myself a pair, too!

Stats:
Ribbed Lace socks (an 8-stitch repeat) in Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks
Louet Gems fine/sport weight (100% Merino wool), machine washable & dryable (although I always air dry flat)
2 circs, size 2, 48 sts
Next time: make the plain stockinette-stitch toe area a little longer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're beautiful!

Unknown said...

Love the socks; they look wonderful!